Bratwurst with Pickled Peppers & Honey Mustard Sauce
Serves: 4 to 8
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced
- 8 (or more) uncooked bratwurst sausages
- American lager style beer, to cover
- Toasted sausage buns, for serving
- Sliced pickled jalapenos, for serving
- Sliced pickled sweet cherry peppers, for serving
- Sauerkraut, for serving
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup whole seed mustard
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the sausages and cover with beer.
Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer until brats are cooked.
Remove brats and move aside beer mixture to stay warm.
Grill sausages 3 to 4 minutes per side over direct heat to color and give the sausages a little char and then return them to beer mixture until ready to serve. This will give the sausages a nice warm place to stay moist and plump and keep from drying out.
While the sausages are cooking, stir together the Honey Mustard Sauce ingredients. Set aside until ready to serve.
Serve sausages hot on toasted roll piled with sauerkraut, sliced peppers and drizzled with honey mustard sauce... the onions from the drip pan are pretty delicious too!